Gone are the days where people view container builds as commission solutions. Now they are a sought after, trending and a respected building system. There are thousands of used shipping containers sitting at ports around the world that are being decommissioned. These can be recycled for a sustainable future.
By using shipping containers as ready made building blocks, you begin any construction project with a head start. They already come with a structurally sound floor, beginning of a roof, as well as a percentage of your walls complete.
Not only that, containers lend themselves to an architectural look, achieving eye pleasing designs, that are not difficult to create. They are capable of impressive cantilevers that conventional materials would struggle to achieve. Local councils are now embracing the concept, as they are seeing the process and the advantages it brings to the table.
If you ever decide to move or wish to keep your property and build again, a basic to mid range configuration container home can be transported from site to site with ease.
Containers are a fully sealed unit, making it easy to ensure it is air tight throughout the entire build.
Insulation added on the outside of the container will create internal thermal mass to help maintain a constant temperature throughout the building. This achieves upwards of 6 star ratings.
After your container project is complete and all additional cladding options have been installed you have 100% peace of mind it will not leak. If the water ever did penetrate the external cladding it needs to also penetrate the corten rust proof container.
Shorter Construction Time
- Construction is done off site, reducing weather delays and a range of OH&S issues
- With construction completed in the warehouse we have all the tools and machinery required to perform tasks effectively that are just not practical to bring on site
- The containers come to the site progressed as far as possible depending on the complexity of the build. This leaves a smaller percentage of site works to be carried out, reducing costs and risks.
- Steel is termite proof
- Steel will not start or fuel a fire
- Each container wall acts as a full sheet brace, creating a very strong ridged construction, capable of standing up to Australias worst weather and cyclone conditions.
- Containers were designed to be transported months at sea loaded in excess of 40 tonne and stacked multiples high. Therefore it is engineered well above expectations for building material application.
- Containers are capable of spanning large distances with minimal stumps or piers, or to achieve a gravity defying 2nd or 3rd level
Container homes can be cheaper to build than a conventional house in the same style. If your design is basic and it works with the 2440mm wide, 12190mm long or 6090mm long shipping container it can be cheaper to build than a conventional build in the same layout.
If your container design is pushing the limits achieving that WOW factor with impressive angles and cantilevers, fully glazed ends, roof top decks or even underground sections, it may also be cheaper than a conventional built house in the same style.
Light weight claddings are the way of the future, be it conventional or container build.
Picking the right cladding means, speedy construction, less weight for footings, great insulation value or R value, and it looks great.
A few light weight cladding options are:
-alucobond -rendered polystyrene
-rendered cement sheet -express panel cement sheet -sheet corten steel -colorbond iron -all real timber products -innowood -copper -barestone -perforated steel sheet -mirrors -glass -vertical gardens -rock work -stacker stones
These are just a few ideas of what is possible to transform the look and create your dream building. By deciding to build with shipping containers you can be guaranteed you will have a one of a kind project different to the neighbour or business next door.
The options are endless with a container home, with so much more potential than people often imagine. There are numerous opportunities for creativity with external cladding options, single/multiple storeys, cantilevers, positioning of angles, huge floor to ceiling windows and more. Shipping containers can be transformed into almost any look you can imagine!
We at JMB Constructions enjoy the challenge of building the unbuildable to the highest standard.
We pride ourselves on building homes or commercial builds that are innovative, individual, modern, and unique.
If you can dream it, we at JMB can build it!
Please don’t hesitate to contact JMB Constructions with any questions or details.